Wednesday 9 March 2011

Spring has sprung - woohoo!

A few days of sun and I'm beaming like a Cheshire cat! There are daffodils, crocuses (crosi?) and all sorts springing up in our garden and it's lovely to have a bit of colour back after a very cold and snowy Winter! 

This week I've been working on some varied bits and pieces - butterflies and flowers, and reworking some of my originals - the Dalek and Tardis pops. 

First up, the butterflies. I've never really been happy with the first butterflies I made. They just didn't look, well, cutesy enough to me. 


Here is what my first efforts looked like. So the pink one isn't too bad, but I really didn't love the red one:


This week I had a request for purple butterflies, so it was a chance to rework them. I only found my stride a few butterflies in - now I know what I like and I think I'll be repeating it in future! 





I also tried my hand at flowers for Mothers Day, and was pretty pleased with the results. I can't really take full credit for these as the original idea was Bakerella's. I have put my own little spin onto them with different centres and the use of green sticks but essentially they're the same. Couldn't resist trying them though - they were just too sweet! I will be experimenting with more flowers in the coming weeks as I'd love to have something truly original. 


 
And now for my Dr Who cake pops. These are all my own work and whilst I do think they're better than before (the gold finish is better on my dalek now I've stopped using the spray, for instance) I think my Tardis could still be better. It's straighter, bigger, and whilst I did personalise these for a client who was turning 32 this week, I think they're getting there. I do have something planned for future Tardis which might just be the icing on the cake (or the candy melt on the cake pop) but we'll have to see! 

Here are the originals followed by the new ones - can you spot the difference?



And finally, some more number pops. I'd only had orders for numbers with holes in this part week - they'd all been 1s, 2s ,3s, & 7s thus far! My first numbers didn't quiet look right - the 4s weren't too bad as the stick didn't have to go through the hole with them, but the 0s and 8s were a different story. After a bit of experimentation, I finally came up with the idea of sticking holes to them and think they worked quite well:


Well, that's pretty much it from my little cake poppery this week. Have you been up to anything fun? Do tell!

1 comment: